Sunday, November 2, 2008

Don't neglect bulk foods

Yesterday I went to Winco and since I had recently used up all of my small white beans for a yummy ham and bean soup (cheap, cheap, cheap), I needed to buy some more. I bought from the bulk section and it was 74 cents per lb. I know that buying from the cannery is probably cheaper yet. Anyway, I measured out what I wanted, it weighed in at 1.44 lb @ 74 cents per lb. = $1.07 Just out of curiousity, I checked the dried bean section in the regular part of the store and their cheapest store brand was 94 cents for a 1 lb. package. What a better deal that was!
Spices are amazingly cheaper when purchased in bulk . . .even when you buy the 50 cent container to put it in when you get home.

Also, Winco will deduct 7 cents per bag for each bag you recycle from home . . .I didn't know this until I saw a gal do it and she got 37 cents back for bringing in bags from home. Wonder if any other grocers do this?
Mom

2 comments:

Jessica Sanders said...

Our Smith's gives you 5 cents per bag. Just did this yesterday!

Michael said...

How do you get 37 cents when you get 7 cents per bag. :-) There must have been a hole in one of them.