Sunday, November 2, 2008

Shopping for Insurance

We've had State Farm since the beginning of our marriage. The only reason we chose State Farm is that's what Mom and Dad used at one point. But I'm more interested in trimming monthly bills these days, so I decided to shop around for better rates.

I tried one of the online insurance sites where you could search multiple companies by filling out one form. Big mistake. The rates where higher than what I'm paying now and my name is now on half a dozen mailing lists.

I mentioned my quandary to Michael and he recommended AAA. I called our local branch and sent them my current policies for the two cars, the house, and a personal liability umbrella (not for rich people, Michael!). Turns out we can save over $300/year by switching. PLUS, we'll be AAA members, which will give me peace of mind in case we ever need a little gas, a flat repair, or a tow.

Moral of the story: it does pay to shop around, but it helps to get recommendation from friends and family.

The only thing that bugs me about this whole experience is that I didn't do it sooner. $300/year for the last 10 years = $3000. That's a lot of dough!

1 comment:

Jessica Sanders said...

I love AAA, we don't use it as much as we should. Be sure to keep tabs on their discounts. 10% off at Payless, always deals on hotels and car rentals, and lots of stuff you might not even think about.